Officer Career LIST

Police Officer - Lateral Entry

******$10,000.00 Signing Bonus******

Successful Lateral Candidates will be paid $5,000.00 at the time of hire and $5,000.00 after successful completion of the Field Training Program and Probationary Period

Applications will be accepted on a CONTINUOUS BASIS. Apply early. This position may close at any time without notice.  To be considered as a Lateral applicant, you must:

  • Be currently employed as a Peace Officer in good standing by a California-authorized jurisdiction.
  • Have successfully completed your Field Training Program with your current agency.
  • Possess or qualify for a California P.O.S.T. Basic Certificate.

Centrally located in Southern California, the City of La Habra is the northernmost community in Orange County, just 20 miles southeast of Los Angeles. When the City incorporated in 1925, agriculture and oil dominated the local economy. Over the past 20 years, the City has invested heavily in economic development, capital improvements and wide ranging beautification efforts.

Today, the City is home to a population of 62,635 within La Habra’s 7.3 square miles. Nearly 43 percent of the population falls within the age range of 25-54. Population ethnicity is broken down to 49 percent Hispanic, 41 percent White, 6 percent Asian/Pacific Islander and 2 percent Black. Despite the City’s growth and progress, it has successfully retained its noble heritage as “A Caring Community”.

Would you like to be part of a team that believes in investing in partnerships with the community, proactive crime prevention, community education and overall effective police work?

If so, the City of La Habra Police Department features:
  • Patrol Services (3/12.5 work schedule).
  • SWAT: North County SWAT
  • Traffic: Motors/Commercial Enforcement/Fatal Accident/Reconstruction Team.
  • General Investigations: Robbery; Homicide; Family Crimes; Property and Economic Crimes.
  • Special Investigations: Gangs and Narcotics.
  • Regional Task Force.
  • School Resource Officers.
  • Canine (Two Handlers).
  • Explorer Advisor.

Examples of Duties

Under general supervision, patrols an assigned area, enforces public safety laws, codes, and regulations, maintains order, prevents, detects and investigates crime, and carries out special assignments in the protection of life and property; and does related work as required. 

Ability to work extended hours in order to meet shift needs, complete reports, attend meetings, or conduct police business.

Work Schedule: 3/12.5 work week schedule or 4/10 work week schedule for Special Assignment

Typical Qualifications

Candidates must possess, or be eligible for, a P.O.S.T. Basic Certificate.
Valid Class C California driver license, acceptable driving record, and evidence of insurance are required.
Testing Process: Includes an oral interview, written test, polygraph, background investigation, psychological examination, and a medical examination including a drug/alcohol screening. 

 Supplemental Information

Candidates may be appointed at Step “B” or higher depending qualifications amd experience. Candidates are eligible to compete in promotional examinations after one year with the Department.

New Lateral Police Officers hired by the City on or after July 1, 2017, are eligible for a signing bonus of $10,000, paid in two installments. The first $5,000 installment will be paid upon hire and the second $5,000 installment will be paid after successful completion of the required probationary period.

Employees hired on or after January 1, 2013, who are existing CalPERS Classic members or members of a public retirement system with reciprocity with CalPERS, will be enrolled in the 2% @ 50 CalPERS retirement benefit formula. Employees shall contribute nine percent (9%) of the employee contribution and one percent (1%) of the employer contribution, for a total of ten percent (10%). (Employees will contribute an additional one percent (1%) effective July 6, 2019, and one percent (1%) on July 4, 2020 for a total of twelve percent (12%) by July 4, 2020).

Employees hired on or after January 1, 2013, who have never been CalPERS members, or are members of a public retirement system (CalPERS or reciprocal) but have a break in service longer than six (6) months, will be enrolled in the 2.7% @ 57 CalPERS retirement benefit formula. Employees contribute 50% of the normal CalPERS cost.